Friday, February 09, 2007

Who Dares Wins?

We were chatting - like you do - about the war in Iraq the other day and someone asked me if I were "pro- or anti-war."

Now I am not a natural or even a supernatural (in the theological sense) pacifist. Should anyone threaten my nearest and dearest - and I would count the horse, plus dogs, cats, friends, family H and E (even my sister-in-law!) with violence I would without qualm rip them asunder with my bare hands. That much I know of myself.

I am even content with the notion of the 'just war' and believe my own father fought one such in resisting the evil of Hitler.

But when it comes this terrible, unnecessary - not to mention probably illegal - war in Iraq I am reminded of my cousin - a keen beach athlete - who used to sport a tee-shirt with the proud, loud inscription 'SAS'. As I had always taken him for more of the hippie type than fighting material I was drawn one day to ask him if he really were a fan of our special army forces.

Why not at all he at once cried. 'SAS' stands not for behind-the-lines daring-do but 'Surfers Against Sewage'.

Well I could see where he was coming from - must be pretty ugly to cruise the waves only to find one's way barred by a floating turd or two. But given the nature of the tee-shirt comment I had to enquire "So there are surfers who are actually in favour of sewage then?"

God save any member of the SAS or any other service man or woman from death or wounding in Iraq, but I could be no more 'for' this war than my cousin - or any sane person - 'for' turds on the ocean

No comments: