Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Let Them Eat Beethoven...

A Rectorial hat-tip tonight for dear Dame Liz Forgan, recently elevated to head honchess of the dreaded Arts Council.

Hear her own wonderful words:

"Throwing children alive into a ­boiling vat of great music does them no harm at all."

Children, so she she tells us, should be subjected to a deliberate policy of exposing them "...to what might appear to be entirely unsuitable masterpieces at an early age. I am more grateful than I can say for adults who loved music themselves, who sought to pass on that love as soon as possible Рor even sooner Рand who totally lacked the defeatism that believes classical music is inaccessible, out of reach and somehow to be approached in disguise. If I had been forced to start with clapping games, or tooting Fr̬re Jacques on the recorder, I fear I might have turned to crime or even netball as more exciting alternatives. Give them Birtwistle, Buxtehude, Finzi, Ockeghem and Beethoven as soon as possible I say."

What a fine, fine woman. E was strapped into her high-chair in front of Wagner 'ere she was one. Not particularly spotted that she's become a fan of the fellow as such, but at eighteen has turned out pretty well, which to me at least proves the case.

No comments: