Saturday, July 07, 2007

Pottering About...

...If I were to say that I have not read a single line of a Harry Potter Book or seen a single scene of any film, that would not in the strictest sense be true, for I have caught the odd frame or ten of the first film when E and her chums were having a Potterfest at our place some years ago.

That though I've not read the books should not be taken as an intended slur or snobbish slight. Nor indeed should it be thought I, as an Xtian cleric, share the views of others of my trade that too fond a celebration of witchcraft is a poor thing to put before a growing childish mind and soul. I am not entirely adverse to that view either it must be said, but I land safe on a middle ground that says anything that has our children reading cannot be a bad thing entire, howsoever judged on literary or on moral merits.

What I do admire in Our Jo - as poor Mrs Rowling very nearly was made to become on Mr Ross's sofa last night - apart from the quiet demeanour, fine shoulders and dangerously high heels of the lady - is a patent sense of the intensity of relationship between creator and creation. This was not - if you saw it or if you didn't - one of those cringe making moments when an author will loudly trumpet the desperate wracking of their soul in pursuit of the deadly goddess of their art, but rather a simple declaration of a form of a love bond. I made it, therefore I love it.

It - the whole thing - has become quite monstrous in truth. Shall Harry die the world yearns to know? If 'scar' (or Ross's brilliant 'ska') is not to be the last word of all then what shall it be? ('End' would be a fine choice for the target readership, though whatever it turns out to be it shall not be as excellent as Richard Brautigan's wonderfully chosen 'mayonnaise' for 'Trout Fishing In America'.) It is, all told, too big, but we shall survive of that I am sure.

But if the thing be monstrous then Mrs Rowling clearly is not. That really is rather important.

P.S. Harry, it appears, will not die. E has spoken and declared it would be unconscionable. Oh dear. Fingers crossed for Our Jo. Don't be letting us down right at the very end!



No comments: