Monday, March 19, 2007

Sleep Perchance To Dream...

...How very odd and something of a coincidence that these two stories should emerge on the same day. (We of the Jungian persuasion would consider it synchronicity of course!)

First of all one hears of a poor Mr. Rodgers who turns from a mild mannered Jekyll by day into a raging Hyde when asleep. "He has destroyed furniture, attacked his wife and injured himself during the night - but remembers nothing." Medication mercifully has resolved his and his wife's difficulties.

Then there is the story just in from Australia of people who 'sex sleep': drop off to sleep as loyal, faithful spouses only to rise up in the middle of the night - still fast asleep - and shoot off to have nookie with strangers. (That goes by the grand name of 'REM behavioural disorder'.)

Well attested by science it would seem, though tricky to pass off as a convincing excuse one would imagine: "Oh that stranger in my arms? Gosh and there was I dreaming of having sex with you my darling hubby! Think no more about the matter I urge you."

Does rather sound somewhat on a par with the "I'm really sorry I'm late boss, but I fell into a tiny but significant hole in the time-space continuum on the way to work only to find myself stranded on a small planet off Andromeda. Anyone made the tea yet?"

No comments: