Friday, December 14, 2007

Sidewinder...

You will not ordinarily - note that careful word - find me among the host of locals who actively deplore the recent inrush of migrant workers from Eastern Europe to these parts.

Ill befits it indeed a clergyman to be picky about the nationality of his flock, though I do own a tad of envy of my Roman colleagues who seem to garner the majority of new worshippers. (Not many Anglicans in Romania or Poland I believe and if there are, well then that is where they appear to be staying.)

It can be hard separating the real and genuine concerns for the impact of so many foreign workers and their families on our community and our services ('infrastructure' is the word I am told) from rank - in both senses - racism. Chat down the Dragon Inn does not always smack of the fullness of Christian spirit it ought - but then if this were a perfect world I for one would be out of a job!

By and large we try to jostle along together, taking the long view (it will not last) and the short (they're here so let's live with it), and if that is not the most openly welcoming it could be then it is a good and godly distance from the ferment the BNP and their like would have it so.

However - there is a big however tonight - should someone pop round the Rectory at this late hour to propose an armed uprising to repel all boarders, then I fear you would find me reaching for my cutlass to join 'em!

Why this sudden ire you enquire in shocked tones? Well, 'tis this.

This evening H and E ventured on one of those inevitable late-night, female shopping trips that are sadly an integral part of a modern semi-secular Advent. A road trip along a local main road was required. The telephone rings some half hour after their departure. 'Tis E in a state.

For it seems a wretched Portuguese - this much they could tell from the vehicle - lorry driver had nearly driven them off the road by pulling out of his lane into theirs totally oblivious of their presence.

The practice is, I am aware, known as 'side-swiping'. Left-hand drive drivers who cannot or will not see what they are doing on our roads. The Government it seems is offering voluntary extra side mirrors to such persons before crossing the Channel in the hope of reducing the carnage caused this way.

'Voluntary'! I'll give them voluntary! Not welcome in this Parish I can tell you any trucker who does not care what he is about, but calmly risks causing death to my family.

Apparently many other cars sounded their horns in alert and alarm. And the driver's response? To raise his arms in disgruntled unconcern as if a matter of no interest to him whatsoever.

Not a wise move on his part. My antipathy is fixed. At least for this evening.

No comments: