Sunday, December 31, 2006

Crushed again...

..This time it was trees. We lived in an avenue lined with towering trees that over-hung each house. In strong winds you could see them sway as if to break and crash down on us. I climbed one tree to test the strength of the wood and was not surprised to find that although it looked sound from the ground the tree was rotten and the wood broke easily.

T Blair passed by to inform us that there was absolutely no chance that any of these trees presented a danger to anyone. I told him that his assessment was flawed and contrary to empirical evidence. I also told him that he was a "git", which was woundingly satisfying!

Worse was to follow. It was New Year's Eve [it is] and H and I had a mighty row [has been known] about whether or not I had finished my cider [which mercifully I never drink in company].

Firm resolution at this point to keep very relaxed and properly sober this evening, as you never know when one of these bloody trees might come crashing down.

No comments: