Sunday, June 10, 2007

Darkness Visible...

...that was how William Styron, borrowing from John Milton, described his bleakest hours of depression and despair. A palpable blackness, more than an absence but an awful, terrifying, crushing presence.

"In the first few weeks when I slipped into dark moments of despair I was finding it quite easy to emotionally switch a light back on, but I've been finding it increasingly difficult to do. More importantly, I don't want to do that anymore. I want to be able to grieve and let those emotions out."

These words now from Gerry McCann are darkness visible once more. As one father to another I pray the Lord will preserve you in that awful place and bring you once more into the light - when you can bear to face what you might have to see there.

No comments: