Sunday, June 03, 2007

Madeleine's Missing Month...

...Today is the calendar month's marking of Madeleine McCann's abduction. We pray for her safety and well-being. We pray for her distraught parents.

And yes we also pray for all families in crisis and who mourn loss and bereavement. We pray for all the unheard, those who suffer and die with no one to notice or to care. We pray for the children who have suffered and died in the time it has taken me to write these words. We pray for the whole of mankind.

But in a special place in my heart I do pray for the McCanns. Out shopping yesterday I overheard two grannies of the parish comparing notes: "You can't help but think about that poor child every minute of the day. Morning, noon and night I keep wondering what's happening to her. It's on my mind all the time."

H understands that I am on the Internet constantly and when she asks, as she always does, "Any news?" I know what she, as a mother, is asking and why.

Kate wept today when she was kissed at Mass by a village child. No greater prayer can there be than a mother's tears. This Our Lady knows.

No comments: