Sunday, January 28, 2007

Global Warning...

....Someone asked me the other day for my views on 'global warming.' As it was a particularly dull, wet, damp day - when one recalled with some affection the endless summer's heat - I could only reply that by and large, taking all things into consideration, and quite fancying growing vines around the rectory walls etc., I was largely in favour of it.

This reasonable view, naturally, met with a certain sucking of teeth, concerned if not actually alarmed looks and a generalised tut-tutting in the room. I was sharply reminded that living, as we do, in the lowlands, any significant rise in tidal flows would inevitably lead to us having to seek higher ground, abandoning The Wolds to a watery fate. This indeed would be sad, though it would save the bother and expense of re-roofing the church and doubtless we would find safe and pleasant enough refuge in the Peak district.

Perhaps it is being of a faith that accepts without demur the notion that God once flooded the entire Earth, yet encouraged Noah - his family and the chosen multitude of animals - to embark on board the Ark for the duration that makes me so sanguine about the whole thing.

Whatever the cause of my views - or indeed the objective veracity of my thinking - I am thoroughly content that my only necessary line on the whole matter of weather and its effect on society should be remembrance of that great Victorian newspaper headline: 'Storms in the Channel - Europe Cut Off.'

No comments: