Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Quicheeaters?!

...Even the word is impossible!

'Beefeaters', of course, is entirely a false title for the Body of the Yeoman Warders of the Tower of London, but it has, at least, a certain merit of historical usage and is tolerably easy to say.

But 'Quicheeaters' - how could any person use, write or pronounce such a word? Impossible you cry! Absurd you harrumph! I completely agree I own! So why bring it to our attention you reasonably ask!

Because, o horrible dictu, it has just been announced that the next person to join this wondrous company is - pauses for a swift malt - a WOMAN!

Call me sexist beyond redemption, call me a fogey's fogey - call me even Kevin if you cruelly must - but I cannot rest happy today. Think of all the loos they will have to build into the ancient fabric of the Tower and weep. Think of the potential for marital discord and tremble. Think of tradition. Think of England.

Think of 'Yeoperson' and mourn the very monstrosity of the word.





No comments: